Frustrating problem with Halo servers...

For discussion of Halo PC/CE (the original versions) and for Halo-related topics that don't fit in the other sections
«THÖMÅS®©™»

Frustrating problem with Halo servers...

Unread postby «THÖMÅS®©™» » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:53 pm

As there does not appear to be a "Technical Support" board I have posted this here.

I have been hosting servers for a long time on my own dedicated box and one or two of our servers keep crashing or the map doesn't load properly. I have tried to reinstall the map, and still got nowhere.

The strange thing is that when I run "sv_map_next" in there, it reloads just fine and it can be played on again. What causes me to be a little annoyed is that I just cannot find the reason why it is happening.

It happens on "Bigass" and "Extreme", I will get names of maps for you but it is more than just these two, but oddly, the rest are just fine but some go offline completely!

It's not Halo CE on my side. It only seems to be on the server side. It's not just me that has this issue when it happens. Many people have approached me in the same way that I am approaching CC for some suggestions on what, if anything, could be causing it. I originally thought it was because the drive that the servers are stored was NTFS with compression enabled, but unchecking compression (since there is no way that I will be able to host enough servers to fill a 2TB hard drive) they still do the same thing.

To be a little more detailed...

I have been to the server just now and taken these pictures of the state it was in, this is when I join the server after it being inactive for a few hours...

This is where it hangs when someone joins, but in the Halo lobby, it sends out a player count and a ping, which seem to indicate that it is online, but it only loads this far and gets stuck.

This is after I run the command "map_next" to make it go to the next game, which is on the same map and same game type. In simple terms, it is a server on a dedicated map and single game type (CTF).

This is the same server after I run the command above:

[img[http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu256/cc-thomas/screenshots/20160822_192831_zpsuhds6vst.jpg[/img]

As you can see, it loads just fine, no rejoins, no restarts, just "map_next".

I am at a loss for what to do. I have tried everything I can think of. Does anyone here know what if anything could be causing this?

L4NC3R
Location: Canterlot High/Crystal Prep. Check your radar will ya.

Re: Frustrating problem with Halo servers...

Unread postby L4NC3R » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:04 am

Perhaps the inactivity?
- Other aliases are Ronson and Trixlight.
Hidden:

«THÖMÅS®©™»

Unread postby «THÖMÅS®©™» » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:33 am

Not sure what you mean by that... I mean honestly, only a few of our servers do this, and its only specific maps.

«THÖMÅS®©™»

Unread postby «THÖMÅS®©™» » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:48 am

Would someone please correct this typo on this link to this please so that is should show:

Code: Select all

[img]http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu256/cc-thomas/screenshots/20160822_192831_zpsuhds6vst.jpg[/img]

to make it this:

Thanks.

Spyder

Unread postby Spyder » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:24 pm

You might be running a "Slayer" only map and have it set to CTF!

«THÖMÅS®©™»

Unread postby «THÖMÅS®©™» » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:11 pm

I am sure "Bigass" is compatible with all games isn't it? In fact it does support all maps...

Source wrote:Description: A large asymmetrical human style map with a variety of vehicles and weapons. Supports all gametypes.

PÕQ~Enigma
PÕQ Admin
PÕQ Admin

Unread postby PÕQ~Enigma » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:42 am

I'm by no means an expert but from what I know (from several years ago) This happens when all spawnpoints are occupied in one way or another. This usually does not happen because everyone moves the moment they spawn and all spawnpoints are far enough apart that blocking them with a vehicle is impossible (Coldsnap has this issue I believe? If you land a longsword in just the right position it will block all spawnpoints). Another thing that happens is that the game places the character at a spawnpoint but fails to "connect" the player with the body. In some big maps the sync is probably off sometimes and a check to make sure everything is working correctly fails to detect the issue.

The issue with the vehicles is usually fixed by setting a reset timer (which is good for game continuity anyway. The empty bodies are more difficult. Either manually killing all bodies (including players) should fix it but restarting the server is a better solution. Maybe lowering the server time to reduce lagg due to uptime is a better fix for this.
A good scientist is a person with original ideas.
A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible.

«THÖMÅS®©™»

Unread postby «THÖMÅS®©™» » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:40 am

Well the game time is unlimited on all of our servers, but this issue only happens on a small number of our Halo servers, maybe 3 or 4 at most, and not on the same map... I just don't understand what is causing it.

I did get an email from Naked Chick last night saying it could be something to do with "cache.hac" but that doesnt seem the likely culpret since I have tried reloading the entire server from scratch and the same thing happens.

Enigma, you stole my signature!! :( :P :D

Return to “Halo General Discussion (Halo PC/CE)”